Oh, this was a CRAZY writing week. It felt like I wrote nonstop. I didn’t, of course. I slept, and I hung out with my family, cuddled my kids, all that good stuff. But it felt like my mind was always on my characters, either the ones I’m writing in HIDDEN or the ones I’m about to start playing with for the novel I’m going to work on for Camp NaNoWriMo in July (anyone else doing it? Come on — I can’t be the only nutter willing to do 2 NaNoWriMos per year.)
In no particular order, some of the stuff that inspired me this week:
1. Scott Snyder’s Batman, Volume 1. Holy crap, you guys. The writing in this one is freaking amazing.
2. Marjorie M. Liu’s “Hunter Kiss” novels. I love these books with a passion. Maxine Kiss is such a badass — my favorite kind of heroine. 🙂
3. Chuck Wendig’s post: 50 Rantypants Snidbits of Random Writing and Storytelling Advice. Three of his points I’m repeating to myself over and over again during this last part of HIDDEN, Season One:
- All Things Serve the Character — It’s all about Molly. And, to a certain extent, Nain. Molly would deny this (and then kick your ass for suggesting it) but it’s true.
- What the Fuck Does Your Character Want? — Molly wants several things. She is working her ass off to make them happen. But….
- Whip Me Beat Me Love Me Hate Me — It’s my job, as the writer, to make her life really, really difficult. Sorry, Molls. 🙂
4. Hole, Pale Blue Eyes. Because, things.
5. Wuthering Heights. Especially this:
6. Author Laura Kaye. The woman can write a sex scene like nobody’s business.
7. Stephen King (from On Writing):
“Talent renders the whole idea of rehearsal meaningless; when you find something at which you are talented, you do it (whatever it is) until your fingers bleed or your eyes are ready to fall out of your head. Even when no one is listening (or reading or watching), every outing is a bravura performance, because you as the creator are happy. Perhaps even ecstatic.”
8. And Elmore Leonard:
9. Demons. Because, demons.
10. Nirvana, Aneurysm. This was on A LOT this week.
OK! That’s it for this week. Kind of a big episode of HIDDEN coming up tomorrow — I hope you guys like reading it as much as I liked writing it!