Oh, 2015. You were a crazy year. A year of amazing beauty, breathtaking wonder, and depressing, heart-wrenching, rage-inducing events. I guess, in that way, 2015 was like any other year, a chaotic slurry of beauty and terror, good and bad.
But in my little corner of the universe, life was pretty good in 2015. My husband, children, and I stayed healthy, and we made progress toward some significant and exciting life changes for next year. We laughed a lot and spent our days surrounded by books, gardens, good food, craft supplies, cats, and one extremely goofy basset hound. It’s a good life, and that’s the most important thing.
I had three goals for 2015:
- Write a lot. (I published five novels in 2015, started an insane THREE new series, a serial for my newsletter, and a web serial here on the blog. I also had a HIDDEN prequel short story published in the Nightshade anthology with a bunch of my author pals. Check!)
- Read a lot. (As I wrote over on Geekerella, I read 103 books in 2015, surpassing my goal of 100 books read. I also shared my favorite reads of 2015 here. Check!)
- Lose weight. (Nope. I am roughly the same weight as I was at this time last year. I’ve had brief periods of really trying with this one, but I have this habit of letting other things — namely writing, reading, and World of Warcraft — get in the way. So, no check here. *cue sad trombone*)
I have a word for every year, a little mantra to repeat to myself when I need a reminder. 2015’s word was “FORWARD.” I made major progress toward my writing goals in 2014, and 2015 was about keeping that momentum, of not allowing myself to let fear or stress get in the way of building the career and life I want. There were touch and go periods, for sure, weeks in which I swore I’d never be able to write another word, but I fought through eventually and, most importantly, proved to myself that I am fully capable of doing this for a very long time. Love of writing was never a question; I’ve been in love with creating stories since I learned to read. The question was in my own ability to keep moving, even when it got hard. And this year proved that I can.
Even if it is kind of messy and whiny and there is too much chocolate involved.
Looking Ahead to 2016
My word for 2016 is “unstoppable.” And this one applies, not just to writing, but to my other health and life goals as well. Maybe even more so to those. I’ll be working on getting healthy. There is, of course, another reading goal. I want to blog more on Geekerella and continue the EXILE serial here. I will finish up Shifted Fate for the newsletter, and then I have an upcoming newsletter serial that I think you guys will be really excited about.
My goal in 2016, writing-wise, is to publish six books. Right now, I’m planning on the following:
- One More Day: StrikeForce #2
- Darkest Day: StrikeForce #3
- Zealot: HIDDEN: Soulhunter #3
- Light’s Shadow: Copper Falls #3
- Title TBD: StrikeForce #4
- Title TBD: HIDDEN: Bloodborn #1
There may be a novella or two in there if I can get myself together. In addition, I have a short story coming up in a science fiction (!) anthology with a few author friends of mine, which will be out in February. I’ll have more details on that later.
One of the best things about 2015 was getting to know several of my readers better. I’m exceptionally lucky to have such a supportive, kind group of people reading my books and cheering me on. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for helping to make 2015 a wonderful year.
Wishing you all a healthy, happy 2016. <3