We still have at least twelve more episodes of this first season of Hidden before I wrap it up and start working in earnest on Season Two. I can’t believe we’ve gotten this far already. I have had a blast writing this, and the encouragement I’ve gotten from readers, either on Twitter, or in the comments, or via email, has been phenomenal. Thank you to those of you who read regularly. I have a lot of fun writing this, but knowing that it’s being read and enjoyed is just amazing. Thank you.
I write to music. I can’t NOT have it on when I’m working. And because I write several different things (serial fiction, a novel, non-fiction for my “day” job) I find that the music changes depending on what I’m working on. Hidden definitely has its own soundtrack, and I thought it would be fun to share it here. So, here are the songs that make the Hidden world turn:
1. Back in Black by AC/DC. AKA, “Molly’s Song.” Those early scenes where we’re getting to know Molly? Yep. She’s listening to AC/DC, and so was I. Also: fight scenes.
2. Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes. AKA, “Nain’s Song.”
3. Love the Way You Lie by Eminem and Rihanna. I’ve mentioned it on my Twitter feed and on Pinterest — when I’m writing scenes between Molly and Nain, this is either on or the line “maybe our relationship isn’t as crazy as it seems, maybe this is happens when a tornado meets a volcano” is in my head. The song’s subject matter in general does not fit their relationship (Molly could flatten his ass if he ever got out of line, and they both know it) so I almost hesitate to include it, but it’s part of the package. Also, Rihanna’s parts in the song are haunting and perfect because…uh, things that I’m not telling you yet.
4. Ava Adore by the Smashing Pumpkins. This one’s also on a lot during Molly/Nain scenes. I think the lyrics work. And that’s all I’m going to say about that right now.
5. The Everlasting Gaze by the Smashing Pumpkins. This one’s on a lot when I’m writing Molly scenes.
6. Shit List by L7. Pretty much everyone is on Molly’s shit list, right?
7. Kashmir by Led Zeppelin. That early Brennan/Molly fight scene was written to this song.
8. Welcome to the Jungle by Guns n Roses. Fight scenes. Yeah.
There are a couple more that I listen to often during this end phase of season one, but I can’t share them with you here yet because they’re kinda spoilery. I hope you enjoyed this look at the music behind this season. If you want to be able to listen to these songs easily, I also created a playlist over on YouTube.
Thoughts? As you read, are there any songs you’d add to the playlist from a reader’s perspective? Thanks for reading!